Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pinteresting it up!

One of my new year's resolutions was to make actual meals for myself this semester to eat a little bit healthier (since my schedule last semester made my eating habits totally wacko). And I have a plethora of new recipes to try from Pinterest, and so far they have been quite successful, so I thought I would share the ideas with all of you!
Here we have the Buffalo Ranch Chicken Tacos.
Ingredients:
-1 pound chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
-1/3 cup flour
-3 Tablespoons cornstarch
-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce (I used Franks Buffalo Wing), plus extra for topping
-1 Tablespoon olive oil
-10 6-inch yellow corn tortillas
Toppings:
Shredded lettuce
Green onions, sliced thinly
Cilantro
Avocado slices
Ranch dressing
Preparation:
Ina large bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, cayenne, and garlic powder. Season the chicken pieces with pepper, then cook until done in the olive oil. Once done, dredge in the flour mixture until pieces are evenly coated. Toss chicken with 1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce. Assemble 10 tacos (or however many desired).
Now, I have to say with this one that the original recipe says to put the chicken in the flour mixture before you cook it, but I was afraid the chicken wouldn't get cooked all the way through, so if you decide to try it that way, let me know how it goes! But it really was such an easy, tasty dish!
This is the Avocado Chicken Parmesiana
Ingredients:
-2 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthways
-1/2 cup plain flour
-2 Tablespoons fresh milk
-2 eggs
-1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs (I used Ritz crackers)
-2 Tablespoons olive oil/cooking spray
-1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce
-2 avocados, sliced
-1/2 cup grated mozarella cheese

Instructions:
It says to first pound the chicken with a meat mallet, but I didn't have one of those, so I just skipped that step, but if you have one, go for it!
Place flour and breadcrumbs on two separate plate and lightly whisk milk and
egg together in a shallow bowl. Coat 1 piece of chicken breast in flour(shaking off excess), dip in egg mixture then coat in breadcrumbs using your fingertips pressing on to secure. Place on prepared baking tray lay with foil or baking paper, repeat the same process with the remaining chicken breast with flour, egg and etc. Lightly spray or brush the prepared chicken with oil, bake for 30-45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove from oven and spread each chicken breast with 1 heaped tablespoon of pasta sauce. Arrange avocado slices over sauce and sprinkle with a decent amount of mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake for another 5 - 7 minutes or until golden and chicken is cooked through.
Serve with either garden salad or use it as a main topping on cooked pasta.

And this one I don't have a picture of, because I forgot to take a picture before we ate it and I put the rest in a tupperware in the fridge, and now somehow it doesn't look quite as nice as it did when it came out of the oven. But anyway, this is the Doritos Chicken Casserole
Ingredients:
-2c. shredded cooked chicken
-1 c. shredded cheese (or more if you are a cheese hound)
-1 can cream of chicken soup
-1/2 cup milk
-1/2 cup sour cream
-1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (canned tomatoes with jalepenos-mild)
-1/2 packet taco seasoning (or more- to taste)
-Bag of doritos
Instructions:
Pre-heat oven to 350-f degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except doritos. In a greased 2 qt baking dish, put a layer of crushed doritos (about 2 cups), then a layer of the chicken mixture. Repeat once more, ending with a layer of chicken mixture. Top with more shredded cheese, cover, and bake for 30-35 minutes, till bubbling hot.

This one was so good that the friend that I had over went back for thirds! And it's not bad as leftovers either, as I've been discovering the past few days. haha. But with husbands or kids, it's sure to be a crowd favorite!

I know this is kind of a long post, but I hope that you enjoy these dinners as much as I and my roommates and friends did. I'll try to post some more recipes as I find good ones! Happy cooking! (I've been watching WAY too much Chef Pepin on the create channel at work...haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment