Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Truly Remarkable Woman

In Memory of Louie Mae Jordan
May 15, 1913-September 11,2010

This morning, one of my favorite people on Earth passed on from this life. She was 97 years old, and lived a full life. I just want to write down some of the things that I remember most about her, so I can always remember, and maybe share some of the inspiration that I felt from her with you.
  • She would make the best cheese spaghetti in the world when we all went over to her house to spend the night.
  • She also made the best ice cream cones, with vanilla ice cream and a cake cone. Nothing has ever compared.
  • She and I would drive to Macey's to get groceries, and always get ice cream.
  • Whenever I had money, like $5, she would get all excited for me and say, "You've got enough money to pain the town red!"
  • She kept a journal every single day.
  • She always had her scriptures open and she read them often.
  • She survived breast cancer.
  • We loved doing puzzles together.
  • We would go watch the last session of General Conference at her house and I would sit in front of her and she would rub my back until I was almost asleep.
  • We loved watching The Price Is Right.
  • She loved Everyone Loves Raymond.
  • She loved hearing anyone play the piano, especially her grandkids.
  • She would give us a dollar if we gave her a foot massage.
  • We would garden in the backyard, followed by many games of soccer that she would watch us kids play.
  • She always made homemade grape juice.
  • She loved her rosebushes, and her apricot tree.
  • She and I read Work and the Glory together every Sunday for several years.
  • She would come to our soccer games and cheer us on.
  • We would go to her house every Halloween and find the hidden candy in her house and then watch a movie.
  • Every Christmas we would decorate the three-foot-tree and decorate (the the random Haunaka candlestick). And she would give us a paper sack Christmas Eve with peanuts and oranges and popcorn.
  • Every Christmas Eve we would go over to her house and listen to "The Little Clockmaker"
  • New Year's Eve we celebrated by banging pots and pans outside at midnight.
  • She said she would never catch up to President Hinckley's age; well, she finally did. :)
  • She loved her family so much! (2 sons, 14 grandkids and even more great-grandkids!)

She will be missed by all that knew her. She always was a bright person, and loved to make people laugh. But she is walking with God and with her husband now. She is pain free. She has peace.

1 comment:

  1. i love you! this made me cry just thinking of how much i love my grandma and how i hope my kids will have an amazing grandma like that and how there is no one in the world quite like a grandma

    ReplyDelete